Winter weather in Malibu
Damaged or missing roof tiles can cause damage to the structure and crate a water damage during storm.
With strong storms comes strong winds that can cause damage to your home. There are a few things homeowners can do that will be helpful in the long run.
If nothing else, maybe you'll sleep better!
Tips for avoiding wind damage:
- Shingles should meet or exceed the local building code, and be rated high for wind and impact resistance.
- Make sure shingles are snugly nailed down and fitted tightly together.
- Inspect the roof sheathing to ensure it is securely nailed to avoid sections being peeled off by winds.
- Make sure the connection between the roof and walls is tight to avoid updrafts lifting off the roof.
- Check that HVAC units, skylights and pipes are tightly affixed and won't be blown off.
- Storage sheds and outbuildings should be securely anchored.
- Evaluate everything you have stored outside, such as equipment, inventory and supplies, and make sure these are anchored or can be easily moved inside if a storm approaches.
- Make sure dumpsters, outdoor lighting fixtures and fencing are secured. Strong windstorms can pick up items, such as waste receptacles, and turn them into destructive missiles.
- Are there large shrubs and trees close to your building? Make sure they are healthy and pruned to prevent large limbs or whole trees from falling onto your building.
- Outdoor signage should be tightly anchored and secure, and designed to withstand the weather in your region. Check with your insurer to see if your sign is included in your property insurance or if you need an endorsement to cover it.
- Ensure your commercial property insurance covers any damage to your building or other business property caused by a windstorm. If you encounter damage from wind or rain at your personal or business property, please call SERVPRO Malibu/Topanga Canyon/Pacific Palisades at 310-456-2135