Mold in the business?
Discovering you have a mold problem can be a bit overwhelming at first.
It is important to recognize the warning signs of mold before it takes over your home and affects your company.
Smell – Mold has a pungent, musty odor. If it is in one area of your building, you might notice a distinct smell when you enter that part of the property. It is not always visually apparent. Mold can grow behind wallpaper, inside walls and under the carpet. If you notice an unusual and persistent odor in your property, contact SERVPRO MALIBU to perform an inspection.
Sight – Watch for the appearance of mold. It may be black, discolored, fuzzy or slimy. You will notice a suspect area growing overtime. Like most fungi, it likes damp areas. Regularly check and clean areas that have a high humidity or tend to collect dampness.
Health – Because mold is not always visible, it may not be apparent that you have a mold problem. If you notice a musty odor when you are at the office or you spot water damaged areas, If you do have a mold problem, you may notice that you feel better when you are away from home.
Organisms of the fungus kingdom, like mold, produce toxic secondary metabolites called mycotoxins.
The best way to prevent mold growth is to control the moisture in your home. Molds can be found almost anywhere and are able to grow on most surfaces, so keeping an eye out for it is essential to keeping you and your employees.
If your business has any mold or water damage, call us today to perform an inspection 24/7, we’re always ready to help!
How to handle house fires first time homeowner.
Dealing with a fire as a first time homeowner can be overwhelming, every homeowner should take two important actions after a fire:
Keep everyone in your family safe and stay away from the damaged home.
Remember you are safe; Items can be replaced.
A fire is a very serious matter! Fire damage happens fast and among the issues that can take place in the aftermath of the fire, it is important to remain calm and follow some simple rules to help the restoration process go smoothly.
My home just had a fire. What do we do now?
Get everyone to safety! After a fire, you want to make one important phone call, SERVPRO MALIBU is your local professional restoration experts!
Your living arrangements are going to change. If your house has only minor damage, and the utilities are working fine, you might be able stay in the home. Your family is most likely safer off the premises.
Can you stay in the home?
The final answer comes down to the extent of the damage, and whether is safe to do so.
What items should I take with me?
Any item that is of value to you should be kept in your possession. Difficult to replace items such as photographs, keepsakes, and firearms should also be kept with you. Never leave personal information, cash, medications, or important documents at the site of the fire. Take these items with you to keep them safe!
How to prepare for Commercial fire
Commercial buildings have come a long way in fire safety in recent years. Thankfully many are equipped with sprinkler systems or other fire suppressant systems. Most also have multiple fire extinguishers on hand as well as fire exit plans posted. But do your employees know how these systems work? Here are a few tips to help ensure that your equipment is working correctly and that your staff knows what to do in case of fire emergency.
- Fire Alarms. Fire Alarms should be checked regularly to confirm they are functioning properly. This is the first line of defense in an emergency. This alerts your staff and customers that they need to quickly exit the building.
- Fire Extinguishers. Do you have enough fire extinguishers on hand? No employee should have to travel more than 75 feet to reach one. Do you your employees know where they are or how to use one? These are important safety measures to go over.
- Emergency Exit Lights. Confirm that all of your emergency exit lights are correctly placed and are functioning. They should illuminate when main power is off. This helps people to find the exit quickly in the case of emergency when tensions are high and visibility may be lost. Exit signs should have a test button that you can use to regularly ensure that they are functioning correctly.
- Fire Suppression Systems. Many commercial buildings have fire suppression systems in place. It is important that these be inspected regularly by a licensed inspector. Be sure that your staff understands how they work.
It is important to have a plan in place to prevent commercial fires, but it is equally important to have a plan in place in case something does happen. Here at SERVPRO we offer an Emergency Ready Plan, or ERP to all local businesses. This plan puts all of the information you and your staff might need into one document that can be accessed by an app that you can load onto any device. This plan will note where all of your emergency shut-offs are as well as key personnel that needs to be notified. It also gives you quick access to our office so we can immediately begin to mitigate your loss and get your business back on track.
Tree Damage that leads to water damage in your home.
With the severe weather that can affect your Malibu home throughout the year, homes have become more and more reinforced against the gale-force winds and potential hazards of these often intense events. Even with reinforced construction and precautions designed to help protect your home against severe weather events, there are variables like weakening trees that can pose the same level of risk. If a tree falls into your home, or large branch damages your roof, you can welcome detrimental effects like flooding into your property.
Storm damage can take many paths to lead to flood damage in your home. As challenging as flooding can be to clean up and remove from your home, professional restoration technicians like our SERVPRO team have efficient equipment and approaches to help this process go faster and prove more efficient overall. From extraction to high-efficiency drying solutions, we have the industry-leading equipment to make a difference quickly in your flooded home.
With our licensed contractors, we can work quickly to provide emergency board up and tarping services to prevent further flooding to your home. These solutions can also come simultaneously with our other restoration technicians working on setting up the extraction equipment to remove standing water from affected areas of your home. Once the storm has passed, these same contractors can work to fully repair the damage to your home from the fallen tree, remove the tree and its remnants from your property, and assess the rest of the house for any storm damage.
Cleaning up the flood damage inside begins with the extraction of standing water, but rests most heavily on the effective drying equipment that our technicians use. With a high volume of air movers, dehumidifiers, and specialty drying equipment, our SERVPRO team can effectively reduce all present moisture and saturation to prevent unnecessary tear out and reconstruction inside.
Tree damage is more common than many area homeowners might believe. With the high winds expected in severe weather systems throughout the year, knowing whom to call in an emergency can save you time and money on the restoration
Fourth of July Fire Tips !
It is going to be a hot one this year! The Fourth of July is on a Sunday this year, which means a lot of people will be outside, grilling, and hanging out. As we get together with one another it is important to remember the safety of grilling. Check out below for some tip and tricks about your grill. Stay safe this weekend everyone!
General grilling tips:
- Propane and charcoal BBQ grills should only be used outdoors.
- The grill should be placed well away from the home, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
- Keep children and pets away from the grill area.
- Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill.
- Never leave your grill unattended.
Before you use your grill:
- Check the major connection points between the gas (propane) tank hose and the regulator and cylinder, and where the hose connects to the burners. Tighten if loose.
- Check the gas (propane) tank hose for the potential (gas) leaks. To do that:
- Apply a light soap and water solution to the hose using a brush or spray bottle.
- Turn the propane tank on. If there is a gas leak, the propane will release bubbles around the hose (big enough to see).
- If there are no bubbles, your grill is safe to use.
- If there are bubbles, turn off the tank and check connections, then have your grill serviced by a professional before using it again.
- If the leak doesn’t stop, call the fire department immediately.
When the grill is on:
- As you are cooking, if you smell gas, turn off the gas tank and burners.
- If the leak stops immediately, get the grill serviced by a professional before using it again.
- If the smell continues, move away from the grill and call the fire department immediately. Do not move the grill.
On average, 8,900 home fires are started by grilling accidents each year. By utilizing these tips can help prevent a serious problem from happening on a memorable weekend.
If something does come up, call SERVPRO of MALIBU ! HERE TO HELP
Benefits of calling SERVPRO for your Pacific Palisades home
Damage to your Pacific Palisades home is not always as easy to remedy as you might initially believe. As much as you want to be the type of homeowner that can handle situations as they arise, some incidents require experience and the right equipment to overcome. Water loss incidents in your home, even on a smaller scale, require immediate attention and a crew of professionals that can remove the moisture completely.
One of the things that many Pacific Palisades homeowners do not realize about water damage is how quickly it can spread throughout the affected area. Often the worst aspects of the saturation and presence of the water penetrate into materials and the contents of the area, which make them easy to miss but potentially severely hazardous as the persistent moisture continues unchecked.
Professional restoration technicians like our SERVPRO team have experienced all facets of water restoration and have the training and techniques to overcome these effects in your house. From the immediate needs for extraction and drying in obvious areas to the spread of this damage into the flooring and walls that remains out of sight, we work to offer the most comprehensive and complete service possible.
Part of the way that our team can assure our successes when it comes to water restoration work is the industry-leading equipment that we use on the job. In incidents of water damage, our moisture and leak detection equipment can help to isolate the problem areas and reduce the need for cutting out portions of drywall unnecessarily. This approach limits the tear out but also reduces the restoration time by leaving fewer points where rebuilding has to occur.
The essential thing to remember when you get posed with water damage in your home is that you're not alone in facing these effects. Our experienced SERVPRO MALIBU professionals can respond quickly and help you to overcome the spread of the water and the damage that it has caused. Give SERVPRO a call 24/7 we’re here to help!
After fire tips
Housefire in Malibu CA, debris from the fire
The unthinkable has happened. Your business or home had a fire. Now what?
You want to get started right away cleaning and sorting, but where to start? Fire damage is tricky to clean, and you can actually make things worse, without professional help.
Here are some helpful tips to get you through, until help arrives:
- Do keep your hands clean. Soot on your hands can spread and embed into everything, causing more damage.
- Do limit your movement in the house to prevent soot particles from stirring up and spreading.
- Do place dry, old towels and old linens on the carpet traffic areas and upholstered furniture to prevent further damage.
- Do empty the refrigerator and freezer completely, if electricity is off. Prop the doors open, to air out any odors.
- Do clean and protect chrome on kitchen and bathroom faucets, trim, and appliances with a light coating of oil.
- Do wash house plants with water on both sides of the leaves.
- Do change the furnace filter, and tape double layers of cheesecloth over air vents to stop particles of soot from getting in or out of the HVAC system.
- Don’t attempt to wash any walls.
- Don’t attempt to clean carpet or upholstered furniture without first consulting SERVPRO MALIBU
- Don’t operate or clean any electrical appliances or equipment until they have been cleaned and checked by an authorized repair service. Smoke residues can be corrosive and conductive.
- Don’t send clothing with smoke residues to dry cleaners, who are inexperienced in cleaning fire-damaged garments. If it is not treated by an experienced professional, the residues and smoke odors may set in the clothing.
- Don’t use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water. This also applies to any cosmetics and medications that could be contaminated.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. Wiring may be wet or damaged and cause electrical shock, and air movement may create secondary damage.
SERVPRO MALIBU is locally owned and operated, and is “A Trusted Leader in the Restoration Industry.” Call us for 24/7Emergency Service at 310-456-2135
Vacation coming soon? Let's help you prevent water damage
The second most common cause for claims made against homeowners insurance in Malibu, CA is water damage, causing damage in the millions of dollars every year. You may not need to do a water pipe repair, but you can help prevent such a disaster from happening in your home while you are away on vacation by taking stock of a few things and performing a few preventive measures.
Steps To Prevent Leaks While on Vacation
- Check all exposed pipes, including under sinks, for leaks and water drops/stains
- Look at connection tubes and supply lines on washing machines, dishwasher, ice maker and so on
- Make sure any exposed pipes are insulated or have heat tape to prevent a pipe burst
- If you plan to turn the heat down while you are away, leave it high enough to keep pipes warm. Leave cabinet doors open under sinks.
After relaxing on vacation, the last thing you want to come home to is a frozen pipe or leak of some kind that has been causing damage since you left. Wet carpets and flooring left to sit can also damage subflooring and can grow bacteria and mold. Broken pipes inside of walls can produce enough water to disintegrate sheetrock, warp and weaken studs, and ruin electrical wiring. Even furnishings and other belongings can suffer water damage if left to sit in wet or damp circumstances.
Water pipe repair can be expensive in Malibu, CA as can reclamation of your home and belongings. You may feel helpless and not know where to start. Get some help with your water damage repair process from professionals who understand what is needed and have the proper equipment for water removal and dehumidification. They can help check all sources of water in your home and make sure any necessary water pipe repair is done.
Fortunately, much of this damage can be prevented simply by taking the precautions listed above. You can take your next vacation worry-free and come home relaxed to a home where everything is intact.
Signs of a water damaged ceiling
Water stains are very common to spot on water damaged ceiling.
A water damaged ceiling is unsightly and dangerous. Before you can repair the ceiling you must locate the issue that is causing the water damage first. If you repair the ceiling without fixing any underlying issues you are asking for a repeat situation. If you plan to locate the source of the problem yourself, be sure to shut off the electricity and water flow in your home.
Telltale Signs of Water Damage
“Sweat” stains -
If it looks like there is a darker shade of your paint on your ceiling, you most likely have the start of a water leak. This causes a sweat-like appearance on your ceiling and you should take action before it gets worse.
Water stains -
Usually brown in color, water stains mean there is a leak or there was a leak. Regardless of how big or small, the water stain is, the leak should be located and stopped. Water stains will usually happen from a leaky roof, overflowing of sinks, tubs, and toilets on the second floor, and cracked pipes.
Ceiling Bubbles -
If you notice your ceiling swelling or bubbling, there is a buildup of moisture in the drywall. If this is not taken care of the ceiling can collapse, causing a dangerous and messy situation. It may seem like a good idea to poke the bubble, but there can be more water than expected, so it is best to let the professionals take care of it.
If you see mold, you can be sure you have water damage, which is why it must be addressed immediately. Mold is extremely dangerous and within 48 hours it can grow and spread, to other parts of the home.
Give us a call SERVPRO MALIBU for your inspection needs!
The water damage you don't see....
Bathroom floor looks normal and dry after a tub overflow but our moisture sensors detects highly elevated moisture.
Even small water damages have the potential to cause serious structural and indoor air quality issues over time.
The key to avoiding costly future restoration is to handle every water problem as a real threat to your property. The proper equipment makes a measurable difference in reducing the damage expense during a water loss. When time matters most, technology and equipment must be counted on to perform.
Here are a few tools used by Professional Restoration Contractors to properly mitigate a loss;
Moisture Sensors- used to detect moisture in carpets, baseboards and walls.
Moisture Meters- used to determine the actual moisture content of various materials. The meter provides accurate readings to monitor the drying process.
Thermo Hygrometers- measures temperature and relative humidity to calculate and create an environment most conducive to drying. When handling a contaminated loss (CAT 2 or 3), it is not only important to dry the structure, but disinfect and deodorize.
Ultra Low-Volume (ULV) Foggers- used to atomize liquid deodorizing agents, producing a fine mist that can easily penetrate the site where odor-causing residues may accumulate. It can also be used to inject fungicides and disinfectants into wall cavities and other hard-to-reach areas.
Thermal Foggers- dispenses solvent-based products by creating a dense fog that consists of tiny particles of deodorant solution that attach to and neutralize odor causing particles.
The bottom line... ALWAYS treat water damage seriously. Call in a professional team like SERVPRO MALIBU We will work for you to restore your property and your life to make it "Like it never even happened."