Think about filing an insurance claim?
Wildfires are unpredictable and devastating.
Disasters as Water Damage or Fire can be harrowing and stressful experiences. If your home has just experienced a wild fires, the last thing you probably feel like doing is filing a time-consuming claim and negotiating with an insurance company. If you're looking for a reputable restoration company that is more than happy to handle claim filing on your behalf, then it's time to get into contact with SERVPRO of SERVPRO Malibu /Topanga/ Pacific Palisades. We'll communicate with the insurance company and adjusters for you to see to it that you get the coverage you deserve.
If you're looking for a reliable restoration company that can assist you with the often frustrating and time-consuming claim filing process, give SERVPRO MALIBU a call as soon as possible. If your property has just experienced any type of severe disaster (whether fire, flood or anything else), our company is right here waiting to help you. Call our team at SERVPRO of Malibu/ Topanga Canyon/ Pacific Palisades today to learn more about our restoration services. Call our company ASAP to learn more about our efficient insurance assistance as well. We're here to help!
Neglecting Roof Can Cause Damage
Roof tiles in Malibu damaged from the wind causing further interior damage to the home.
A leaking roof at your business can create a lot of damage quickly and, if neglected, can compromise the building's structure. When roof failures happen, we are there to help. It is important to act quickly so secondary damages do not occur.
Roofs most often reach the point of failure when one or more of these conditions occur:
AGING ROOF - When roofs are old and not maintained, leaks can occur within the property and the severity of these leaks will increase over time.
SATURATED ROOFING - As a result of an aging roof, accumulated water isn’t dispensed properly and gets trapped in and under the roof and leads to saturated and ruined materials.
HIGH WIND DAMAGE -We have all experienced the Santa Ana winds. When they are high your roof is susceptible to partial or entire removal.
Always maintain your property and have your roof checked a few times a year.
House Fires Are Truly Tragic
Home fires are emotionally draining.
House fires are truly tragic and can be a frightening experience for a family, especially if your valuables are destroyed. In such circumstances, it is best to hire a restoration service that can assist with the recovery and take a load off your shoulders. Here are reasons why you should opt for a professional fire damage restoration company, namely us, SERVPRO of Malibu/Pacific Palisades/Topanga Canyon:
- We Have Years of Experience - Professional fire damage restoration services are experienced in their field. We will be able to provide a speedy inspection of the overall damage and also give you an estimate regarding which items have to be repaired and/ or replaced. Not to mention, our crews can also point out which items can be salvaged and how much time will be needed for the complete restoration process.
- State-of-the-Art Equipment - Professional fire restoration services can prevent further damage to your valuables and remove all soot, smoke odor, and water from your home by using some of the best state-of-the-art equipment They will also clean and sanitize your home using the best tools and products.
- We Can Help with Insurance Claims - Fire damage restoration companies can prepare an estimate for you to submit to your insurance company. Depending on the full extent of the damage and your insurance policy, the company may provide appropriate funds to rebuild your entire home or provide you a full reimbursement.
So, make sure you contact our team of fire restoration experts right away in order to restore your home and your belongings to the pre-fire condition.
Kids and Matches
Don't leave your matches laying around!
Children have a natural curiosity about fire and the ability to strike matches or start a lighter.
Matches, lighters and other heat sources are the leading causes of fire-related deaths for children under age five.
Parents and teachers should practice and teach fire-safe behaviors to children and educate them about the dangers of fire, matches and other ignition sources.
- In just two minutes, a fire can become life-threatening.
- In five minutes, a residence can be engulfed in flames.
- In less than 30 seconds a small flame can turn into a major fire.
- It only takes minutes for thick black smoke to fill a house or for it to be engulfed in flames.
- Heat is more threatening than flames.
- Room temperatures in a fire can be 100 degrees at floor level and rise to 600 degrees at eye level.
- Inhaling this super-hot air will scorch your lungs and melt clothes to your skin.
Kids need to understand the consequences of playing with fire.
Caught up In a Storm? No Worries...
Don't get caught in the storm...
Do you need immediate Storm Restoration Services? If so, then you should give us a call here at SERVPRO of Malibu/Topanga Canyon/Pacific Palisades. Our crews are dedicated, hardworking, experts who are organized and ready to enter your property and make it “Like it never even happened.”
Our franchise has been in existence for more than 11 years which has a great reputation for superior service and has gained many happy customers. We are locally owned and operated for a fast response and are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
We will handle any job big or small. We want you to feel at ease and put your worries to rest about the damages to your property so our services are conducted in a professional and compassionate manner.
We always offer the best quality workmanship for storm restoration and various other services that are needed after an emergency, such as a flood. You deserve to have your home or place of business looking as good as new. You'll be pleased with the quick, efficient work that we do.
Contact us for information today.
Ways to Prepare for a Home Fire
A home that caught fire during the Woolsey Fire.
With Summer almost here and fire season getting started, it is good to prepare yourself in case of a home fire.
Install the correct number of smoke alarms. Put them in each bedroom and throughout the home. It is good practice to them once a month and replace the batteries at least once a year.
Show your children what the smoke alarms sound like and what to do when they hear it going off.
Ensure that all household members know two separate ways to escape from every room of your home and know the family meeting spot outside of your home.
Establish a family emergency communications plan and ensure that all household members know who to contact if they cannot find one another.
Practice fire drills from your home at least twice a year. Press the smoke alarm test button or yell “Fire“ to alert everyone that they must get out.
Make sure everyone knows how to call 9-1-1.
Teach household members to STOP, DROP and ROLL if their clothes should catch on fire.
Acting Fast After Water Damage Water Timeline
The longer you wait, the more damage is done.
It's important to act fast after you experience water damage in order to keep secondary damage to a minimum.
Within Minutes of the damage: Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path and water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and your belongings. Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets. Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
The First 24 hours: Affected drywall begins to swell and break down. Metal surfaces affected most likely will begin to tarnish. Furniture begins to swell and crack. Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain. A musty odor can appear.
Within The First Week: Mold and mildew most likely will grow and spread. Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp. Metal begins to rust and corrode. Furniture warps and shows signs of mold. Paint begins to blister. Wood flooring swells and warps. Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week: Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive. Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants
The longer you wait, the more damage will occur, which becomes more costly.
Recovering From Water Backup
Steps To Clean Up From A Water Backup
- Remove standing water to prevent structural damage or use sump pumps to remove excess water.
- Dry all wet carpets, rugs, and personal belongings to prevent mold growth.
- Do not flush toilets or attempt to drain tubs and sinks – It is best to just not use the water supply system in your home until the problem has been corrected.
- Do not use chemicals in an attempt to unclog the draining system quickly and easily. They can damage your pipes and sewer lines.
- Keep children and pets away from the affected area.
- If it is safe, shut off the power. Otherwise, don’t go near electrical equipment.
- Wear protective clothing: gloves, eyeglasses, rubber boots and a facemask when in direct contact with water backup.
- Open windows to allow fresh air in and ventilate well to remove any unpleasant odors.
- Use the services of a professional water mitigation company to sanitize, dry and prevent mold growth.
What Causes Water Backup?
Back up in a bathroom
Water backup mostly occurs when the water around the property’s foundation exceeds the capacity of the removal systems to drain it. It can occur from surface water seeping into foundation walls or sewer systems overflowing up through drains.
Preventing Water Backup
- Maintain gutters and downspouts, keeping them free of debris and leaves and repairing them if they are sagging.
- Inspect your gutters' capacity - after fifteen minutes of heavy rain, if water overflows the gutters, you should install additional downspouts.
- Extend downspouts at least ten feet away from the house
- Adjust landscaping and irrigation so that water flows away from the foundation.
- Drain subsurface groundwater and stormwater with a sump pump system that has battery backup and replacement warnings.
- Run your sump pump every few months and clean it annually before the rainy season.
- Prevent backflow of sanitary sewer water by installing backflow valves and standpipes at all basement drain locations, including sinks and toilets.
- Prepare your basement, garage. Or other storage areas "just in case" by raising your washer, dryer, water heater, electrical wiring and personal items above your typical water backup levels.
Category 2 Water Loss
Cat 2 Water Loss
No two water losses are alike, including the categories they reside in and each situation must be treated based on the unique needs of the environment. When looking for possible contaminants to determine a category of loss you have to take into consideration the condition of the property you are working with and also the source of water
A Category 2 water loss refers to a source of water that contains a significant degree of chemical, biological, or physical contaminants and causes discomfort or sickness when exposed or consumed. Known as "Gray Water," this type of water damage carries microorganisms and nutrients of microorganisms and can cause illness.
Sources of Category 2 water losses include toilet bowls with urine (no feces), sump pump failures, seepage due to hydrostatic failure, and water discharge from dishwashers or washing machines.