Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Fires can happen unexpectedly at any time. Some people are unprepared on what to do for the clean up after the fire occurs, which is why it is vital to hire fire damage servicing company to help get it done correctly.
- There are four main reasons on why it is vital to hire a fire damage service professional.
- Unforeseen damages – With the unforeseen damages in the home, it is a possibility that it is no longer safe to live in.
- Smoke and soot. – Soot can cover a lot of things in the home and it is very difficult to remove. Smoke has a bad tendency to linger for years and many people don’t realize it’s there. There are many places that smoke can get into besides the obvious like the carpet and furniture. It can be in the walls or air ducts. This sometimes makes the air in the home unhealthy to breathe, especially for children and elderly.
- Right equipment – Many people may try to clean the damages themselves but don’t have the right equipment to do so. Hiring a cleanup service will allow the homeowners to save time and assurance that the home is well taken care of.
- Structural damage – There can be structural damage from fire or the water used to put out the fire. It can lead to big problems in the future if it is not taken care of immediately.
Need Help Today? Call (310)456-2135
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (310) 456-2135
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.